Tuesday, February 9, 2010

How it all started.

I like making things with my hands.

Not the self-consciously macho stuff, like custom car engines or potato guns. I mean things like origami, plastic models, wooden ships, pottery and pop-up books. I've always gravitated toward crafts that require precise measurements and small, finely-aligned elements. For a long time, stained glass seemed appealing but out of reach. I was intimidated by the time and money I assumed it would require.

Then two things happened. First, I found myself with some free time. Second, I realized how much my wife spends on her yarn-related hobbies.

So I took beginner class in stained glass, over at Glass Endeavors.
(As an aside, let me say that Glass Endeavors is a great store and studio. The people there are extremely friendly and helpful. They are always ready to offer more advice and tips, even outside of class time.)

The class was $75. Wow, I thought. That's not so bad! Then I happily bought the glass. And then I needed the grozing pliers, and the running pliers, and the cutter, and oil for the cutter, and the cutting surface, and the solder, and foil, soldering iron, patina, wire, hanging rings, zinc came, borders and tacks, glass grinder, padded ruler, and...

Well, my wife has still spent more on yarn. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Well, obviously yarn is a more lasting investment. It's totally non-breakable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, but does it appreciate in value? Stained glass does, but yarn just gets more frazzled and moth-eaten over time!

    I win.

    ReplyDelete