Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Project in Progress: Leaded Glass Class

To take a small break from my Bird Flower project, I've started my second class at Glass Endeavors. This class will cover the leaded window technique, which is actually completely different from the copper-foil technique I've already learned.

With the copper foil technique, you simply wrap the edges of each piece with adhesive copper foil, lay out all the pieces, and solder them together. With leaded windows, you cut each strip of lead from a pre-extruded length, and assemble the window one piece at a time. Authentic horseshoe nails are used to hold the pieces together during assembly; small pieces of the lead came are set against the edges of glass and nails are used to press them in place.

See the picture below for an example of this technique in progress (source):



Also, here is the pattern I've chosen for my learning piece. It has a couple pieces that will be challenging to cut, but I like the overall look and want to try it out. For a larger image with much clearer lines, simply click the image below.

No comments:

Post a Comment